This month's spotlight on The Amanda Hansen Foundation.
Below is the mission statement from the website.
Amanda was a bright, active bubbly 17 year old.
On January 17th 2009 her parents received a phone
call at 8:30 that morning telling them that Amanda was sick, so they went to pick her up from
a friend’s house. Upon arrival, they saw many emergency vehicles around
the house. They didn't know what was going on until they pulled up behind the ambulance and saw that
they were performing CPR on Amanda. Amanda had been overcome by CO from a malfunctioning boiler
during a sleepover the previous night.
....After the tragic loss of our daughter Amanda from carbon monoxide
poisoning, we have been compelled to create the Amanda Hansen Foundation.
Our goals are simple:
- To create the resources to supply the public with CO
detectors who could not otherwise afford them.
- To educate, as to the real and imminent dangers of CO poisoning,
its causes, and it's prevention through the proper use of detectors, and proper
installation/maintenance of household appliances.
- Work hand in hand with local and national organizations to
future educate and promote awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
- To enact local as well as national legislation
to mandate that all buildings, both private and public, be equipped with CO
detectors, without exception.
to ensure that the memory of Amanda will be forever kept alive through the
lives of others that by her sacrifice were able to avoid the same needless tragedy.
Mr. and Mrs. Ken Hansen
be sent to:
Amanda Hansen Foundation
17 Park Meadow Drive
West Seneca, NY 14224
A reminder that there are requirements in NYS that all commercial businesses were required to have carbon monoxide detection
in their buildings by June 27, 2016. These may be found in the NYS Uniform code supplement, Chapter 7, section 915.3 at the
dangerous are portable space heaters?
can warm up a chilly room. But beware. There
are a wide variety and number of them on the market, and have been around for
decades. BUT they can be dangerous,
even deadly if not used safely. They account for one-third of all
home-heating fires each year, and more than 80 percent of home-heating fire
deaths. By following safety tips, you
can assure a happier and warm outcome from their use. You should also consider
ones, since like anything they will have parts that wear out over time, even
NEVER place any space heater within 3’ of items that can burn, like clothe, paper products, wood, etc.
Only use them while home of in the office
Always plug directly into the socket — don’t use an extension cord
If fossil fuel fired ( natural gas, propane, fuel oil) make sure they are UL listed
for unvented use
Newer units have tip-sensors
which will turn them off if they tip over
If it uses
any type of fuel, fill it outside
electric heaters may pose a shock hazard if near water or they have a frayed cord
Do NOT overload electrical circuits with multiple heaters
Portable heaters may get HOT, and pose a hazard of burn, especially to small children
If the need arises for using space heaters, please do
safely. The NYS 2015 Fire Code prohibits
using unvented portable kerosene heaters in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, storage
or toilet rooms. Also they are prohibited
from use in use groups A, E, I, R-1, R-2, R-3 and R-4 occupancies. Fire Code
603.4 and NYS 2015 Mechanical code 922.2 as amended by the 2016 Uniform Supplement
The Annual Pub Ed Conference
At the NYS Fire Academy
Will be May 5 - 7, 2017
Annual State Chief Conference
The NYS Fire Chiefs Conference 2017
will be June 14 - 17, 2017
The Turning Stone Resort in Verona NY
New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial Ceremony
October 11, 2016 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM EDT
Empire State Plaza
Wanted: Southern and
Members of the board
of directors are responsible for developing and maintaining points of contact within their assigned geographic area/district.
Points of contact are to include representatives of all areas of emergency services at the local/state and federal level.
Also whenever possible
those involved in public safety education including teachers and
Points of contract are to be used to coordinate and network the flow of information both to and from association. Provide
a written report to the Association Secretary quarterly listing his/her activity and the people or groups contact with a summary
of information transferred. The directors will collectively design a program to depict the goals and objectives of the association
that can be utilized as a mini seminar to show the services and benefit of being a NYSAFE member. In conjunction with the
format outlined in the by-laws that the officers and directors of the association shall conduct 2 meetings annually other
than the annual meeting, the executive board shall develop a rotating meeting schedule so as to hold a meeting in each district
every 4 years.
meeting it will be the responsibility of the assigned director for the respective district to plan a 3-4 hour mini-seminar
the Saturday of the said meeting to deliver a safety educators/instructors program to be used to help develop the duties of
those involved in safety education presentations.
NYSAFE, 102 Merideth
Ave, Nedrow, NY 13120
Copyright © 2010 NEW YORK STATE ASSOCIATION OF FIRE SAFETY
EDUCATORS. All Rights